UGA Chapel, June 1899

ua0030_001_000_001_004_socialmedia_edit_omeka.jpg

Title

UGA Chapel, June 1899

Description

This photograph shows the University of Georgia Chapel in June of 1899. Prior to 1913, the Chapel's bell stood on the roof of the building; it was removed to the rear of the building (where it currently stands) during renovations in that year. The tradition of ringing the bell following victories can be dated to November 1894 after a 10-8 victory over archrival Auburn.

This photograph is taken from the Atherton Seidell photo album, UA0030. This album documents Athens and the University of Georgia during the period of 1898-1899.

Creator

Atherton Seidell

Source

Atherton Seidell photo album, UA0030

Publisher

Hargrett Rare Book & Manuscript Library

Date

June 1899

Contributor

Hasty

Rights

Hargrett Rare Book & Manuscript Library

Citation

Atherton Seidell , “UGA Chapel, June 1899,” UGA Special Collections Library Online Exhibitions, accessed February 5, 2023, https://digilab.libs.uga.edu/scl/items/show/942.

Output Formats

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page


Warning: count(): Parameter must be an array or an object that implements Countable in /var/www/html/digilab/scl/plugins/Carta/CartaPlugin.php on line 122