Alonzo S Church

Dublin Core

Title

Alonzo S Church

Subject

Alonzo S Church

Description

The death of Alonzo S. Church was mourned by many in the Athens and University of Georgia communities, as Church had great influence in both. As a Presbyterian minister, Church often assisted poor churches who could not afford a minister by offering his time to these churches while asking that he not be compensated for his efforts. As for the University of Georgia, Church’s influence began when he was named professor of mathematics and astrology in Franklin College.
Plot WH103

Creator

Jarrett Martin

Contributor

Shelby Brown

Coverage

Laid to rest on the West Hill of Oconee Hill Cemetery in May of 1862, Alonzo S. Church’s gravesite is not difficult to miss. The obelisk monument bearing the names of Church, Robb, and Barrow sits on West Hill lot 103 & ½ and is surrounded by a low, granite fence with wrought iron railings. Within the confines of the fence are Church’s wife, Sarah Tripp Church (1801-1861); son, John B. Church (1832-1863); daughter, Elizabeth Whipple Hunt Church Robb (1823-1868) as well as respective spouses. The death of Alonzo S. Church was mourned by many in the Athens and University of Georgia communities, as Church had great influence in both. As a Presbyterian minister, Church often assisted poor churches who could not afford a minister by offering his time to these churches while asking that he not be compensated for his efforts. As for the University of Georgia, Church’s influence began when he was named professor of mathematics and astrology in Franklin College. Following the resignation of the President of the University, Dr. Waddell, Dr. Church was chosen as successor – serving as President of the University of Georgia from 1829-1859. His tenure as president was the longest term in the University’s history. While Alonzo Church was widely respected, there were times of unrest on the University of Georgia’s campus caused by Church’s disciplinarian style which eventually led to a decline in enrollment at the University. During his thirty year tenure, Church oversaw the construction of several campus buildings and landmarks that are now revered as icons of the University. Some of these icons include The Chapel, Phi Kappa Hall, and The Arch at the entrance of North Campus which was funded by the $1,000 sale of the University’s botanical garden. Other buildings in Athens still stand as a reminder of Church, including what now serves as the Athens Welcome Center at 280 East Dougherty Street. This federal style home known as the Church-Waddell-Brumby house was built by Church and is believed to be the oldest surviving house in Athens. Additionally, Church Street in Athens is named after Alonzo S. Church.

Files

IMG_0531.JPG
IMG_0528.JPG
IMG_0534.JPG
IMG_0539.JPG
IMG_0537.JPG
IMG_0540.JPG

Tags

Citation

Jarrett Martin , “Alonzo S Church ,” Death and Human History in Athens, accessed April 14, 2021, https://digilab.libs.uga.edu/cemetery/items/show/20.

Embed

Copy the code below into your web page